Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After Election Day

I woke up yesterday anxious about the election. I couldn't wait to vote. I had planned out what time I wanted to get to the polls as Karli had preschool at 9am and the boys were off school for the day (teacher's inservice). So, the boys and I got to Beach Park Village Hall at about 9:15 am to vote. I didn't have to wait in any long lines, although there were only about 3 parking spots available when we arrived. When we left the parking lot was full and several others were walking in to cast their votes. We went shopping after I voted and on the way to Kohl's I explained the electoral process to the boys, as much as I remember of it. I hope to instill in the boys a sense of obligation, responsibility and pride about voting. I'll admit that I felt differently about the process when I was in my early 20's and didn't register to vote until I was 27 years old, but I am so excited to vote now. We also realized in the car on the way to Kohl's that Kyle will not be able to vote in 2012, but he will be of age in 2016 -- which is only 8 years away.

No comments: