Monday, November 17, 2008

What happened to the Gardner's house?

I had noticed a house for sale in the paper that I knew was the house of a girlhood friend of mine, Shelley Gardner. The house was in Winthrop Harbor and I remember loving that house when I was a kid. I can remember many good times at that house, birthday parties, sleepovers, and just hanging around. I think I watched my first Soap Operas "All My Children" and "General Hospital" while at that house. The house seemed so grand. It is a Cape Cod style home and I remember Shelley and her older sister Kris had rooms upstairs with cool hidden doors in closets that lead to the attic. In Shelley's room we used this as a secret hide out. Well, John and I drove by the house listed as "lovely" with updated kitchen and bathrooms. I was so depressed when I saw the house in the condition it is in now. No one had taken care of the outside of the home and I can only imagine what the inside looked like. I wanted to live in that house as a kid and thought for a brief moment that this could potentially be a home for my family. It is in a neat part of Winthrop Harbor, with trees galore! Oh well, I guess I have memories of times past in that house. I wonder what ever happened to Shelley? She moved to Gurnee after 8th grade.

No comments: